EcoLogic FreezePruf Frost Protector
It's like anti-freeze, for your plants!
FreezePruf , revolutionary new "anti-freeze for plants" is an easy-to-use, biodegradable spray that improves healthy plants' natural cold tolerance by approximately 2 to 9 degrees F, depending on the variety of plant and the duration/intensity of frost or freeze event.
Developed by botanists, FreezePruf protects the plant's foliage and flowers, externally and systemically (throughout the plant) by enhancing both its natural "anti-freeze" like properties and its ability to survive ice crystal damage.
It's like moving your temperature zone 200 miles south!
And it's not just for preventing frost damage to tender plants. FreezePruf's unique formulation adds a half-USDA Zone equivalent or more to the cold tolerance range of all major ornamentals and crops. So, a plant that is hardy to the low-to-mid teens Fahrenheit (Zone 8a) can be grown with little or no damage in Zone 7b.
How to use...
Simply spray liberally to the entire plant. The biodegradable formula is designed to resist washing away by rain or snow and one application lasts up to 4 weeks.
Plant earlier, harvest later
You can play the guessing game as to when the last Spring, or the first Fall frost will occur and arm yourself with everything from smudge pots to blankets to protect your plants, often with poor results.
Or, you can stop guessing! Although FreezePruf may be applied at any temperature above freezing and will produce benefits as soon as plant surfaces dry, best results will be obtained when applied at temperatures above 50 degrees Fahrenheit and a minimum of 8 to 12 hours before an anticipated freeze. FreezePruf may also be applied seasonally, in anticipation of future cold events within the upcoming four weeks. Since FreezePruf extends the growing season, it's perfect for perennials as well as fruit and vegetable plants. Not intended for use on succulents. The guaranteed protection lasts up to four weeks.
Protects foliage and flowers
FreezePruf is a water-based, eco-safe spray that enhances the plant's natural mechanisms to resist freeze damage, shielding it from ice crystal damage, and increasing its ability to survive cold temperatures by reducing the freezing point of water inside the tissues of the plant.
- Improves healthy plants' natural cold tolerance by approximately 2 to 9 degrees Fahrenheit!
- Great for fruit and vegetable plants!
- Orbital sprayer protects under leaves
- Protection lasts up to 4 weeks
How FreezePruf Acts as a Frost/Freeze Protectant and "Zone Extender" in Plants
- FreezePruf surfactant ingredient allows formula to rapidly penetrate waxy cuticle and epidermis of leaves, flowers or fruit
- Once formula has entered the plant and the surface is dry, FreezePruf's antidessicant ingredient reduces water loss from plant structures and the wash-off of formulation for up to 4 to 6 weeks.
- FreezePruf s low molecular weight cryoprotectant partitions between cell interiors and exterior spaces, lowering the freezing point of both compartments.
- FreezePruf s high molecular weight cryoprotectant stays outside the cells, lowering the freezing point of the extracellular water. It also pulls water from cells via non-destructive cytorrhysis, thus lowering the cell interior's freezing point. Importantly, the high-molecular-weight cryoprotectant interacts with cell membranes to make them more resistant to damage from ice crystals when they do form, thus increasing the freeze tolerance of even cold-hardy plants.
- FreezePruf's silicate-based ingredient binds to cell walls, thus strengthening them against ice crystal damage, thus increasing the freeze tolerance of cold-hardy plants.
- FreezePruf's ingredients are transportable within the plant body.
FreezePruf (and Mother Nature) affect different plants - differently. Here's why...
- FreezePruf adds to a plant's natural ability to tolerate cold. Plant species vary greatly in their natural ability to tolerate cold (See Plant Groups below), and there is considerable individual variation even within a cultivar or variety.
- A plant's health and prior care effect how well it will tolerate cold. A drought-stressed or diseased plant, or a tropical plant that is already experiencing seasonal senescence (yellowing of leaves, brown leaf tips, etc.) due to shorter days and cooler nights, will not respond as well to FreezePruf.
- Both the duration and intensity of the cold event will effect a plant's and FreezePruf's performance. Each frost or freeze event is unique in terms of duration and intensity of cold, wind chill factor, relative humidity, snow and ice cover, minimum temperatures and total time below freezing. Even within an individual landscape, microclimates occur and low temperatures can easily vary by several degrees.
So, how well will FreezePruf work on your plants, in your own garden and landscape?
In general, FreezePruf will add approximately 4 to 6 degrees Fahrenheit to published hardiness values of plants (about the equivalent of 1/2 of a USDA Zone rating) (see listings below). The overall improvement range is approximately 2 to 3 degrees F (1/4 of a Zone equivalent) to more than 8 to 9 degrees F (3/4 of a Zone equivalent) over untreated plants that experience the same intensity (low temperature) and duration of cold, windchill, snow/ice cover, and other variables.
We've created (and continue to add to and refine) a chart that lists frost/freeze tolerance performance for common plants with and without FreezePruf. Please keep in mind, it's simply not possible to 'warrant' that a given plant will suffer no/minimal damage at exactly X degrees, even with FreezePruf- there are too many variables.
Highly commended, FreezePruf is a Gold Medal winner at the 2010 National Hardware Packaging and Merchandising Awards, The Green Thumb Award for 2010 from the Mail Order Gardening Association and winner of Best in Show Award at the 2009 IGC Show!
Average Customer Rating
There are no written reviews yet!